Big Chiques Creek
Located at Lat. 40.148 / Long. -76.41
It was Built in 1857 for $1185, and is one of nine covered bridges known to have been built by James C. Carpenter. Rebuilt by Elias McMellen in 1874 for $1620. Kaufman’s Distillery Mill was one of over 130 distilleries in the county in the late 1800s. Location: 1/4 mile west of Manheim between Rapho and Penn Townships.
Narrative & photo credit: Kenneth W. Collins, author of "Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania"