Octoraro Creek East
Located at Lat. 39.794 / Long. -76.045
Originally built in 1816 (builder, price unknown). Rebuilt by Robert Russell and Joseph Elliott in 1846 for $1494. At 204 ft. in length it is the only double-span, double-arch bridge remaining in the county still in use. Destroyed by flood waters, Elias McMellen rebuilt the bridge in 1884 for $4295. It is jointly owned by Lancaster and Chester Counties and is located on Ashville Road just south of the Octoraro Lake Reservoir in Little Britain Township. Officials from both counties are presently discussing needed repairs to the bridge, but it remains open.
Narrative & photo credit: Kenneth W. Collins, author of "Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania"