Crosses the Mill Creek GPS Coordinates:
N 40°-1’-39” / W 76°-12’-11.9”
Single Burr arch construction.
Length: 93 feet
Width: 15 feet
The Willows Bridge is a combination of two bridges.
1) The Millers Farm Bridge, linking Providence and Strasburg Townships was built in 1871 by Elias McMellen, at the cost of $1, 875.00 and was 75 feet long.
2) The Goods Ford Bridge, crossing the Pequea Creek was built in 1855 Levi Fink, at the cost of $1,165.00 and was 79 feet long.
Both bridges were slated for demolition in 1962. The County of Lancaster gave Mr. Adolph Neuber (then owner of the Amish Farm & House) the Millers Farm Bridge to preserve this historical landmark. Neuber then purchased the Goods Ford Bridge to repair the rotten wood from the Millers bridge. With the help and guidance of Roy Zimmerman, the bridges were restored and combined to complete the Willows Bridge.
This bridge was named for The Willows, a restaurant, which was located nearby. Every piece, except the wood shingles, is from the original bridges. The original handmade spikes and bolts were reused.
The floor is red oak while some cords are white pine. The arches were cut from pine trees that were 150 years old when cut, therefore making part of the bridge almost 300 years old.